If you’re like most professionals or serious DIYers, you like your tools kept in a neat, orderly way. Tools that are piled in a jumbled mess can get damaged or lost, and disorganization can lead to wasted time looking for things you need. Fortunately, there are many tool organizers for any space and purpose.
How to Find the Right Tool Organizer
We all have our own individual preferences for how we like to store and arrange our tools, so there’s no single organizing solution that will work best for everyone. Before you shop, think about how much available space you have and whether you will need to take your tools with you every day or transport them frequently. There are a few other criteria to consider, too.
Type: The best type of tool organizer for you depends on how and where you will use it. If you have limited surface area, a wall organizer, pegboard, or cabinets can free up space while keeping everything within easy reach. Chests with wheels come in handy when you move around your workspace frequently. Other mobile organization systems include toolboxes, tool bags, and tool backpacks.
More Storage Solutions: The 10 Best Toolbox Organizers | 9 Tool Bags to Keep your Gear Safe | The Best Socket Organizers for Your Garage or Workshop
Material: For organizers that will be holding or carrying larger tools, look for something made from a strong material, like metal or reinforced canvas, that can handle heavier weights. If the organizer will be left outdoors, look for a weather- and rust-resistant material, such as heavy-duty polypropylene, that can withstand the elements.
Capacity and Security: For anything that holds or carries tools, consider the maximum weight limit. Also, if you will be leaving your tools on a job site or other location unsupervised, you might want to look at organizers that offer some sort of locking feature.
How We Evaluated
As the former owner of a construction business and a hard-core DIYer, I’ve used organizers of all types and sizes over the years. I prefer self-contained organizers, such as rolling chests, that can go wherever I need to take them. I also like wall organizers to keep things safely out of the way. My prior experience informed these selections, but I also researched Amazon reviews and consulted manufacturer and retailer sites for specs and product information.
- Type: Toolbox
- Material: Polypropylene
- Dimensions: 17.3 x 13 x 6.4 in.
This two-shelf toolbox has a 66-pound weight capacity, a space big enough for power tools, and numerous divided compartments that can hold smaller items. It’s part of DeWalt’s Tstak line, which includes drawers, trolleys, carts, and other organizational products that you can mix and match to configure your own tailor-made tool storage setup.
- Part of Tstak storage system that offers plenty of customization options
- Reasonably priced
- Some Amazon users report the bottom shelf is prone to bowing or sagging
- Type: Cabinet
- Material: Plastic
- Dimensions: 20 x 15.8 x 6.4 in.
This cabinet-style organizer with 24 clear drawers makes it easy to organize and find odds and ends quickly. It can sit on top of your table or work bench but is also wall mountable. It’s stackable, too, so you can buy several and create a tall storage tower to hold all the screws, nails, nuts, and bolts in your workshop.
- See-through drawers let you find things quickly
- Versatile storage system that can be used for tools, fishing accessories, or craft supplies
- Not sturdy enough to hold heavy items
- Type: Bag
- Material: 600-denier polyester ripstop
- Dimensions: 11 x 11 x 11 in.
This is a unique and clever organizer that lets you create a tool-holding system on the go. You can usually locate a bucket on almost any jobsite, and this organizer is designed to fit on most 5-gallon buckets. It has a total of 30 pockets, plus three interior loops that are perfect for hammers, drills, and other larger tools.
- Creative, convenient way to carry and organize tools
- Durable material
- Would be nice to have a few larger pockets
- Type: Bag
- Material: Alloy steel and plastic
- Dimensions: 15 x 7.5 x 9.8 in.
This tool bag folds up flat when empty so you can stash it in your truck or store it in a drawer to keep it handy whenever you need. There’s a place for all your essentials; it has 14 exterior pockets of various types and sizes, plus 14 webbed loops on the inside.
- Padded handle for comfortable carrying
- Also great for storing emergency supplies in your vehicle
- Exterior pockets are relatively shallow
- Type: Pouch
- Material: Polyester
- Dimensions: 7.5 x 11.1 x 5.3 in.
This pouch makes it easy to keep your essential tools at your fingertips, or more accurately on your belt. It has 13 pockets and loops, including a wire tester pocket, a tape chain, and two screwdriver loops. This model is designed specifically with electricians in mind, but ToughBuilt also has a variety of other purpose-built pouches.
- Easily clips on and off any belt
- Collapsible stand lets you prop it upright
- Some dividers aren’t fully attached, allowing smaller items to fall to the bottom of pouch and move around
- Type: Bag
- Material: Canvas
- Dimensions: 5 x 10 x 9 in.
This bag is made from durable material and delivers the high-quality craftsmanship you would expect from Klein Tools. The double-layered bottom adds reinforced strength, and the tunnel loop at the back fits belts up to 3 inches. Amazon users raved about its ability to hold its shape even after continued use, though some mentioned it felt bulky to wear all day.
- Made from flame-resistant material
- Includes holder for one-inch bull pins
- Might be bigger than some people want to wear
- Type: Chest
- Material: Polypropylene
- Dimensions: 22.1 x 23.5 x 11.3 in.
This rolling chest can follow you as you move around your workshop or jobsite. It includes 16 removable in-drawer bins and a spacious, open bottom drawer so you can arrange your storage system however you like. The central locking system keeps everything secure and in place, even through travel.
- Lockable drawers add security during transport or in shared spaces
- Caster wheels enable smooth movement
- Smaller than some rolling chests
- Type: Bag
- Material: 1,680-denier ballistic weave
- Dimensions: 14.5 x 7.25 x 20 in.
This backpack provides a convenient way to take all of your tools and supplies with you. Plus, the 39 pockets provide a spot for everything you need to carry. The hard-shelled front pocket is perfect for safety glasses, your phone, or other items you want to protect from scratches or damage. And the molded bottom ensure the backpack stays standing, no matter what you have inside.
- Plenty of pockets
- Shoulder straps have extra padding for comfort
- Some Amazon users reported problems with zipper failure
- Type: Pegboard
- Material: Galvanized steel
- Dimensions: 33 x 16 x 4 in.
This wall organizer helps you free up your table space by keeping everything out of the way yet still easy to find. The kit includes a 6-inch shelf, three plastic bins, screwdriver and hammer holders, and an assortment of hooks and brackets. The magnetic panels are a nice feature, keeping everything secure and in place. Just be careful of the sharp edges. We recommend wearing gloves while mounting or otherwise handling.
- Easy to set up
- Compatible with other Wall Control systems and accessories
- Some sharp edges
- Type: Rolling chest
- Material: Polypropylene and metal
- Dimensions: 17.5 x 10 x 24.5 in.
This rolling toolbox travels easily, and the individual components detach so they can also be used separately. It has 24 compartments that can hold small items, plus two removable trays, and a bottom compartment that’s deep enough to hold large tools. The attached cable hooks keep your cords safely out of the way.
- Modular design allows for flexibility
- Lots of compartments
- Some Amazon users felt it wasn’t heavy duty enough to handle a lot of weight